Tim Kaine's office recently said there was only around 10 more years of viable coal.
Printable View
Tim Kaine's office recently said there was only around 10 more years of viable coal.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats just false. According to the Clean Air Act new plants must use the best technology available. </div></div>
Then 99% of the industry, and the rest of the world's coal-fired plants are breaking the law.
Quote me the part of the Clean Air Act that says that instead of broad-brushing it to fit your POV and I might believe it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim Kaine's office recently said there was only around 10 more years of viable coal. </div></div>
And it was also assumed that we were flat out of coal in this region in the mid-late 90's, and now there's reserves to last us to almost the year 2025. Estimates are just that, estimates...things change.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could actually help pay for some schools that it seems no one else wants to pay for. </div></div>
I'm not entirely sure to be honest with you I've not looked at that enough to know. With the tax breaks for the next 30 years or so I don't see how that is going to be possible but I could be wrong. There are other factors I think that play a far greater role in the lack of money for our schools. Losing the now Norton Commons area, the lower taxes on resource property, and not handling the money the do receive properly.</div></div>
...so basically you're yelling about tax breaks without knowing one way or the other if this means zero taxes for Dominion, or if it just means they get "breaks" which eventually will phase out/lessen over time?
Get some facts and come back w/that excuse instead of regurgitating what you've heard.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm all for bringing in industry but to me there are cleaner alternatives that can provide just as many jobs.</div></div>
No "industry" is going to be clean enough for the environmentalist wing in this area. It could be a friggin hemp factory and they'd still be complaining and protesting that hemp fibers would float in the air and hang to our lungs like asbestos.
Critically look at it w/o an environmentalist lean and then come back and talk to me.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim Kaine's office recently said there was only around 10 more years of viable coal. </div></div>
And it was also assumed that we were flat out of coal in this region in the mid-late 90's, and now there's reserves to last us to almost the year 2025. Estimates are just that, estimates...things change. </div></div>
Exactly what some do not realize is that those numbers are based off of tons in the ground that can be mined with current technology at a profit.
The price of coal IS going up so reserves that were not viable 10 years ago become viable plus Mineing Technology never stops improveing. There is plenty of coal in our area provided the price is right
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...so basically you're yelling about tax breaks without knowing one way or the other if this means zero taxes for Dominion, or if it just means they get "breaks" which eventually will phase out/lessen over time?
Get some facts and come back w/that excuse instead of regurgitating what you've heard. </div></div>
I don't have the information directly in front of me, I do know that the tax breaks don't start lessening until at least the year 2040 under the current proposed plan.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have the information directly in front of me, I do know that the tax breaks don't start lessening until at least the year 2040 under the current proposed plan. </div></div>
Mind telling me where I can see that information for myself?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...so basically you're yelling about tax breaks without knowing one way or the other if this means zero taxes for Dominion, or if it just means they get "breaks" which eventually will phase out/lessen over time?
Get some facts and come back w/that excuse instead of regurgitating what you've heard. </div></div>
I don't have the information directly in front of me, I do know that the tax breaks don't start lessening until at least the year 2040 under the current proposed plan. </div></div>
But the point is does the plan include that Dominion pay some sort of taxes to the state/local governments, regardless of "breaks"?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim Kaine's office recently said there was only around 10 more years of viable coal. </div></div>
Thats bogus, trust me that is so far from the truth.
When the last load of coal comes out of these mountains, whenever that may be, there will still be unimaginable amounts of coal left in other places.
Example; There is a coal prep plant near Dante. For quite some time this plant has been producing enough coal to make around a million dollars a month by simply re-running what was discarded 50 years ago.